Confess Your Faults One to Another
James 5:16 says:
“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
I've always found the wording of this verse interesting, particularly the word “faults.”
Some newer translations use the word “sins” here. I understand why they do that, because the Greek word can refer to wrongdoing or transgression. But “faults” makes me think about something broader than simply confessing sins.
We all have weaknesses.
There may be things about ourselves that we struggle with but wouldn't necessarily call sinful. Perhaps we're easily discouraged, have difficulty speaking in front of people, struggle with anger, have trouble asking for help, or simply have an area of life where we know we need encouragement.
James says to “confess your faults one to another.”
Notice that he doesn't say to announce everything to everybody.
There is a difference between honest admission to a trustworthy person and putting your private life on public display.
If I stood up in front of a group and announced every sin and failure I've ever committed, I'm not sure I would come away feeling “healed.” I might come away looking for a new church! 😊
But telling a trustworthy brother or sister, “This is something I struggle with; pray for me,” is a different matter.
The purpose James gives is important:
“and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.”
The goal isn't embarrassment.
The goal isn't condemnation.
The goal isn't giving people something to gossip about.
The goal is prayer and restoration.
This reminds me of Galatians 6:2:
“Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.”
Sometimes simply admitting that we have a burden allows someone else to help us carry it.
I also think there is something freeing about realizing that we don't have to pretend to be strong all the time. Being honest about a weakness doesn't necessarily mean that we have failed God. Sometimes it simply means that we're human and need some help.
Of course, we should be wise about whom we trust with personal matters. Not everybody needs to know everything about us. James says “one to another,” and that suggests a relationship where there is enough trust to pray for one another rather than judge one another.
Perhaps that's one reason I appreciate the KJV wording here.
“Confess your faults one to another.”
Not everything needs to be shouted from the housetop.
Sometimes it just needs to be shared quietly with someone you trust, followed by a simple request:
“Pray for me.”
And perhaps that is where healing begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment